Your Avoori website comes with already in-built SEO features and tools that will help you rank better on search engines by default. Nevertheless, you can always improve your website’s SEO with a number of factors and a number of modifications.
If you’re a new website owner and still don’t know much about SEO and what to be done about it in a newly created website, then this SEO checklist will give you the heads up you need so you can create an SEO-friendly website that will take into account what search engines need and want.
If you need more help to understand SEO basics, then please check our blog on SEO so you can get the information you need.
Before going through this checklist, there are some things you first need to know before you proceed to the factors:
- Your website’s description: For better chances of ranking well on search engines, your website needs a relevant, short, and straight to the point description that will help search engines pick up what you do and put you in the right SERP.
- Your website’s title: Your website’s title is the identity of your website. It helps search engines know your website’s title and even use it as a keyword if someone searches for it. Even if you use a logo on your website, you still need to add a site title.
- Business address- If your business operates on a regional level, then you can increase your chances of ranking better by adding your business location. Your physical location can be added on your settings on Avoori and on your contact page so it can be picked up by search engines.
- SEO descriptions- Whether it’s a page or a post, your meta description is extremely important. You need to add one for every page and post so they can rank in the right SERPs and be viewed by the right people.
- Favicon- Your website’s browser icon is important as well as it helps with your identity and branding. Adding a favicon improves your SEO score and gives your website a better appearance.
- Social media- Your social media is also important when it comes to your website’s visibility. Increase it by adding social sharing and by linking to your social media profiles so you can have more followers.
- Custom domain- Although Avoori gives you a custom domain when you first create your website, it won’t be enough for your website to rank better. You need a customized domain name that represents who you are.
- Website’s security- Although Avoori gives you a free SSL certificate with your domain, this certificate won’t be enough to secure your website. You need to make sure you protect your customer’s data and only share confidential information when you need to. You also need to follow certain regulations like GPDR for better ranking.
- Pages & Posts title formats- Your title formats are important as they appear in browser tabs, search engine results, and social shares. That is why you need to control how they look and set a format for them that is comprehensible.
- URL format- Whether it’s for your blog posts or for your pages in general, your URL format is very important. It needs to be short and easy to pick by search engines. You can choose your URL format on Avoori and customize it the way you like.
- Custom 404 pages- 404 pages are bound to happen on your website sooner or later, that is why you need a customized one that will have all the information your visitors need to find the right page.
After you go on with all the previous checklist, it’s important to follow it by this checklist when you’re launching your website.
- Link it to Google Analytics- If you want your website to succeed, then you need to pay attention to the data at all times, and the first step towards that is by connecting it to Google Analytics.
- Connect it to Google Search Console- Google Search Console is one of the first things you should look out for when launching your website. You need to connect it to your website so search engine spiders can quickly pick it up and index it.
- Verify your website with other search engines- Whether it’s Bing or Yahoo, appearing on different search engines can help you bring more traffic.
- Ask Google to index your website- You can use GSC to ask google to index your website’s content faster.
After you launch your website, there is another checklist that is equally important so you can make your website as SEO-friendly as possible.
- Your website’s analytics- You need to keep track of your website’s analytics and data if you want to rank better on search engines. You need to use the information to figure out what your visitors need.
- Keep updating your website- You need to update your website every now and then to help your visitors enjoy it even better by improving the user experience.
- Keep track of broken links- If you delete a blog post, a page, or anything that can result in a changed or broken link, then you need to create URL redirects to help your visitors find the content they want.
- Keep track of GSC- Google search console should be your best friend. It’ll help you figure out which pages you need to improve and which ones has problems.
- Keep adding content- Adding content to your website will help search engines pick up content faster and will help you rank better.
Content best practices
When creating content for your website, there are certain things that you should keep in mind:
- Your content’s structure- Using headings from H1 to H5 will help your content’s structure and will make it easier to understand by both readers and search engines.
- Use keywords the right way- Don’t stuff your content with keywords but use the right amount. The right number of keywords will help you avoid keyword stuffing and thus being penalized by search engines.
- Use keywords in your images- Your images need to have keywords in them as well as search engines don’t interpret them the same way humans do. By adding alt text to images with keywords search engines will identify it as content for the page.
- Mobile-friendliness- Always check your website’s mobile-friendliness on every page and post before search engines pick up any problem with it that might get your page not indexed.
- Social sharing- Always include social sharing and links to your social media profiles if you want visitors to share content and to follow you.
- Tags & categories- Tags and categories will help your content be structured better and will help with your website’s navigability and use experience.
Why is my traffic dipping?
If you’ve noticed that your traffic has taken a hit recently then it can either be because of a search engine update or because of the algorithm changing. This process is completely normal and your traffic should go back to how it was in a few weeks.
If your ranking doesn’t get back to how it was, then you need to check your website’s analytics to figure out what is your traffic dipping. You can see if your content no longer is viewed by your visitors or if you’re having problems with your website’s visibility. Google search console can help you with that as well.
As much as we’d like to help you with everything, there are just some things that fall out of Avoori’s customer support expertise, and SEO is one of them. Each SEO strategy is different and each journey is different so it’d be impossible for us to help you with your SEO or ranking.
We can, on the other hand, help you if you face any issues with your built-in SEO tools. You can contact our customer support any day, at any time, if that’s an issue you came across.
But, if you still need help with your SEO strategy, then check our blog for more advice.